Sensitive skin is a term used to describe skin with reduced tolerance to the application of cosmetics and personal care products. Or simply put, your skin is more prone to reaction when it comes into contact with products. In surveys, approximately 50% of women and 40% of men may report having sensitive skin.
Signs Of Sensitive Skin
Signs of sensitive skin come from the breakdown of your skin’s protective barrier. This can be caused by the environment, dehydration, or an underlying condition
- visible change of skin such as redness, scaling, dryness, bumps, rashes
Daily Skincare Routine That Can help
- CLEANSE: Stick to alcohol-free toners during the day time beauty regimen. Apply oil-based or milky cleanser during the night
2. USE EYE SERUM: to lock in moisture
3. TREATMENT: Your specialized skin treatment. Eg. Serums or oils. Stay away from these ingredients found in skincare products.
- All forms of parabens (methylparaben, propylparaben, isopropyl-paraben, and isobutylparaben. If “paraben” is in the word, avoid it.
- Artificial fragrance or parfum
- Sodium lauryl sulfates or sodium laureth sulfates
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
- Oxybenzone (and other chemical sunscreens)
Some countries have banned these skincare ingredients. Why? Because they are known to be carcinogenic. That is, it can cause cancer. In addition to causing cancer, it’s one of the leading endocrine disruptors, and may be linked to birth defects too.
4. MOISTURIZER: Go for lightweight and fragrance-free moisturizers that are quickly absorbed by the skin. Avoid greasy products. They can clog your pores.
5. PROTECT: Protect your skin with zinc oxide sunscreen
Use products rich in these ingredients:
- Olive squalane
- Aloe vera
- Shea butter
- Green tea
Moreover, take your time and do more research when it comes to certain skincare products and their ingredients. Always remember to read skincare labels before you go ahead and purchase.
Do not forget to do a patch test before using the product on your body or face. How to do a patch test? WATCH IT here.
Read out more exciting trending topic on Carly Skincare
Want to stay up to date when it comes to the clean beauty industry? Join my Clean Beauty Community! I send out pretty hefty emails all about safe skin care, cosmetics, and household products.